Friday, December 27, 2013

Images from Launceston Tasmania



Rabbit from lounge window, on golf course. Rabbits are shy, so you can't get up very close


There is tons of grass for them to eat.

Early morning grass and dew shots on the golf course at the country Club Tasmania


                   Sparkling dew


 Beautiful Banksia in town near a Japanese garden in the middle of Launceston next to the council building


Beautiful Victorian clock tower that chimes every quarter of an hour, takes you back in time to when most towns had these.
Beautiful bokeh caused by early morning dew.

The internet is so slow over here, even though it's broadband  that it makes it difficult to post photographs.



This is the view of the rocks and water on the Tamar River from the swinging suspension bridge in the  Cataract Gorge only five minutes drive from the centre of the city.

The pattern of the rock outcrops were beautiful.



We went to The Tasmanian Zoo, don't go there and it's very expensive and all the birds and animals are locked up looking miserable in tin sheds. 
The three Tasmanian devils I saw were lolloping along quite happily but they all had skin cancers which is a contagious disease which is galloping through their population.
Very sad.  The cages are all too hot with parrots looking depressed. Water is dirty and branches in the hot cages old and dry.
I am definitely writing to some animal cruelty authorities before I leave.
This place needs to be closed down. I felt traumatised by it.

The other thing that is disturbing is the amount of road killed kangaroos and other marsupials I have seen.
 It breaks my heart to see so much carnage. 
 I  did manage to get two shots of  Echinda's who were walking on the side of the road when we went through some  large forests near Cascade mountain.


 I hope it didn't end up as road kill as well.

  I looked it up on the internet and Tasmania is known as the road kill capital of Australia.  
 Here is a  photo of a  dead Tasmanian Devil  that I took near Cascade mountain and I'm sorry if it upsets viewers but  this type of thing needs to be exposed.





 I came here to take lots of shots of  wild life so of course my eyes are scanning the side of the roads for live one. 
 I'm noticing more than most people I guess.
When you run over an animal why not stop and at least give it a dignified burial?
If you can't stop running them over, why not carry a spade in your boot?
How long would it take to dig a hole in a grass verge to bury it. This would at least fertilise the soil.

 
The problem isn't going away by averting eyes and pretending it doesn't exist or worse doesn't  matter.
If enough people respond and lobby the tourism department, surely something more can be done.


No comments: